Services

SUNDAY
Bible Discovery Hour ~ 7:45 A.M.
Education Wings/Chapel/Library
CHURCH SCHOOL OUTLINE
Morning Glory Worship ~ 9:30 AM

Church Sanctuary
LIVE STREAMING WORSHIP
Click/Tap to watch Live Streaming...

"Wednesday in the Word"
The "Hour of Power" - 12:00 P.M.
Evening Bible Study - 6:30 P.M.

Click/Tap for ONLINE GIVING

148th Anniversary Concert

EAConf Choir Schedule

AMEC General Conference

St. Paul AME Scholarships

The 52-Week Bible Plan

2017-18 School Calendars

Bible Discovery Guide

The Good News Newsletter

Facilities Request Form

ALL ARE WELCOME!

Saint Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church
6910 New Kings Road (US1 @ Richardson)
Jacksonville, Florida  32219
PHONE: 904-764-2755 or 904-764-3302
FAX: 904-768-8552 or 904-764-1618

EMAIL: stpaul@stpaulamejax.com
TRANSPORTATION IS AVAILABLE:
Email: transportation@stpaulamejax.com

DIRECTIONS TO THE CHURCH

Welcome

HISTORY OF ST. PAUL A.M.E. CHURCH

Saint Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1869, in the home of Samuel and Violet Williams, parents of Ada Braddock Bracy.  The Williams' residence was located on the southeast corner of Forsyth and Stuart Streets. Their home served as the worship center for one year.  Included among the founding members were: Samuel and Violet Williams, Ada Braddock Bracy, Milus and Lydia Franklin, Alvin Franklin, and Julia Macon.  This small congregation raised funds to acquire land for the construction of the first physical structure.  In 1870, land was purchased in the center of Jacksonville (near the St. Johns River) at Johnson and Ward (later renamed Houston) Streets. Here, the first church building was erected.  This structure was built of natural materials, consisting of grass, palmetto leaves and bushes.  The pews were made of wooden planks with no backs and kerosene lamps illuminated the many night services held during the early years.  This edifice was called the "Bush Arbor."

On March 15, 1870, under the leadership of Saint Paul's first pastor, Reverend John R. Scott, Sr., construction of the first frame structure began. In 1883, Reverend P. B. Braddock built the first masonry structure.  This sanctuary was the first masonry church owned by the African Methodist Episcopal Church in the State of Florida.  Additionally, Reverend Braddock became a Presiding Elder in the, Jacksonville District and materially assisted the Reverend W.C. Ross in establishing the Divinity High School, which later became Edward Waters College. Saint Paul was remodeled in 1906, under the pastorate of Reverend James Bennett.

More / Next Page